Ria's Collection: STAR GOOSEBERRY CHUTNEY & SEASONED BUTTERMILK makes a delicious lunch!

Monday, January 24, 2011

STAR GOOSEBERRY CHUTNEY & SEASONED BUTTERMILK makes a delicious lunch!

IMG_0276
We usually cook 'Sona Masoori' variety of rice for our lunch everyday. That's not the rice I have grown up eating but I have no problems with it because I was used to eating it in my hostel so it goes down well with me. A few days ago, I had a strong inclination towards the 'chommanri choru' /Kerala fat red rice and made a small portion of it. When I have that rice, I want everything 'naadan' which goes perfectly well with it. So I made some Chicken Cutlets, a Chutney , some seasoned buttermilk plus a Cabbage Thoran. I was very satisfied...I almost licked my plate clean! :)
IMG_0231 

We usually buy our seafood from an Asian store and they are loud,messy but filled with every Asian thing you can think of! That's when I saw a bottle of Star Gooseberry in saline. I immediately grabbed a bottle and waited to get back home so that I could break open the bottle and eat. Unfortunately,it was sweet...yes and I was thoroughly dissapointed. I was warned by my friends that these things could be sweet so I did check the label in the stor...but there was no sugar mentioned anywhere!
IMG_0267
Anyhow, I drained out all that liquid and put back some fresh water and also added a few spoonfuls of salt hoping the sweetness would reduce somehow.Luckily it did and I made good use of it by making a chutney/chammanthi with it.
IMG_0277STAR GOOSEBERRY CHUTNEY /ARI NELLIKKA CHAMMANTHI
My own recipe

Ingredients:
1 c Star gooseberry in saline.crushed and seeds removed
1/2 c shredded coconut
5-6 green chillies or to taste
1/2  large red onion,chopped
1/2" piece of ginger
Salt to taste

Method:
Pound everything using a mortar - pestle, adjust seasoning as required.
Form them in to a ball and serve with rice.

Seasoned Buttermilk

Seasoned buttermilk was a natural choice to go with a spicy dry chutney. The combination of rice and these sides are delicious and too hard for me to give a pass, anytime.

IMG_0266SEASONED BUTTERMILK / PACCHA MORU
My own recipe

Ingredients:
1c lowfat plain yogurt ( You can use any plain yogurt)
1" piece ginger
4 green chilles
3 curry leaves (not sprigs, but leaves)
1/4 large red onion, chopped
1c water
Salt to taste

Method:
Bruise ginger,green chilles, curry leaves and onions using a mortar pestle.
Whisk yoghurt and water together.
Add salt and the crushed ingredients.
If your yoghurt was thick, you may have to add more water to thin it.
Adjust spice if needed.
Serve chilled with rice.

IMG_0275
Verdict: A happy 'burp' says it all! :)


I am sending all these yummilicious goodies to Kerala Kitchen, a monthly event Magpie and yours truly are hosting.So, once again, if you guys are making or already made some Kerala goodies, do not forget to send it to magpiemails AT gmail DOT com.

15 Comments:

Unknown said...

Luv both chutney n buttermik, lovely clicks

Unknown said...

Everything looks so authentic. Love that mortar and pestle!

Radhika said...

Slurrp... you r right that is how I feel too. the clicks are very beautiful.

Divya Kudua said...

What a delicious lunch spread..love the pics too!!

Prerna said...

Your FB update about those GORGEOUS mortar and pastel brought me here Ria! LOVE it :-)
Lovely recipe and beautiful photos as usual!

sanjeeta kk said...

Amla chutney & flavored buttermilk for breakfast sounds tangy and refreshing! Lovely click, Ria.

Lite Bite

Priya Suresh said...

Both looks inviting..

M D said...

Hey Ria, nice to see the chutney made from gooseberries. I too love this one and its health benefits are plenty. Nice clicks as usual!

archana said...

That sounds yum,who wouldn't lick the plate clean !

Pavithra Elangovan said...

Love it Ria ...

Finla said...

Love the pic qnd they way you have served them and that buttermilk bring bakc good memories.

Rose /Magpie said...

Mmmmm tantalizing combo- morucurry and chammanthi.. Gosh Ria you are making me very homesick! The Kerala Kitchen table is going to be very happy with these wonderful delicacies!

Foodie said...

First of all, Congratulations on being nominated for Best of Blogosphere polls. We wish you all the very best !!
We have had the pleasure of reviewing "Ria's Collection" and we're pleased to inform you that your blog has been included to Indian Cooking Blogs at http://indiancookingblogs.blogspot.com

Thank you for sharing your blog with us and the many readers of our blog directory. You can also submit recipes to Indian Cooking Blogs to drive traffic to your blog.
We loved the recipes and the pictures on your blog. Keep up the great work Ria and we look forward to your future post.

Team at Indian Cooking Blogs

Unknown said...

These look really interesing, especially that chutney. I wish I had more of an experience with South Indian food, from what I've seen through you, it looks awesome! I used to think all of it had coconut, and that's why I've avoided it!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing... The chutney was super and so simple.. and is flexible for other additions.. Like I Added some mint leaves and coarsely ground roasted peanuts.. For some more Punch.. And everyone loved it... Thanks again

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...